Peace, Pies and Pastry

Welcome to my little blog. It's about anything and everything I aspire to become, know or create.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cilantro Salmon and Mediterranean Couscous

I've been waiting for a while to post this recipe because it's a family favorite and really simple, flavorful and healthy.  It's easy for me to get carried away with butter, cream and all those sinful things, but sometimes having a meal that is so healthy and earthy really cleanses your mind and refreshes your soul. Refreshes your SOUL?! Well it does for me. I love seafood and it's really hard to get seafood here that speaks to me.  I have had the blessing of travelling a lot and eating at different places, which means I want more out of food than before my taste buds experienced true flavor.  If you are the same way, then I think you'll like this recipe. I also like to serve it up family style on one big platter and relax.

There's also a story about this meal. It's my parents' favorite meal. I try to make it for them every chance I get because it's such a special feeling to know something I make, makes them happy. I didn't say it was a long story. So there you have it. A good recipe that's good FOR you! (I served it up along side some roasted broccoli which is super easy to make and I'll post the recipe for that below as well).



CILANTRO LEMON SALMON & MEDITERRANEAN COUSCOUS

Ingredients: (For Salmon)

1 fillet of Salmon
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
2 small cloves garlic
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 lemon (Juice and zest)
2 tsp cumin powder or seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
4 Tbs olive oil for sauteing

Directions:

1. In a blender or food processor, blend all the ingredients EXCEPT the salmon and the oil for cooking (I had to write this because of a question I got when I gave this recipe to someone else previously)




2. Spread the cilantro mixture all over the salmon.  Make sure you have a cute kitchen assistant to help you.



3.  Add 2 Tbs of the olive oil for cooking to a pan and heat on medium high until oil is hot.  Add salmon, marinade side down and cook for approx 2 minutes until browned, then flip over, turn heat to medium and cook skin side down for 5-7 minutes.  keep coating both sides as you flip, with the remaining marinade.





4. Keep checking the fish, to make sure it doesn't burn. Cooking times will vary depending on the size and thickness of the fish. I really wish i could tell you to cook for 'X' amount of minutes, but you honestly have to watch it and make sure not to overcook it.  For fish, the best rule is, if in doubt, under cook. Why? a) because there is residual cooking heat even after taking off the stove; and, b) you can always cook a little more, but can never uncook. Capeesh?



Ingredients: (For Couscous)

1 cup couscous
2 cups broth either chicken or vegetable (I use vegetable)
2 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 of lemon (zest and juice)



Directions:

1.  Heat a large pot or sauce pan with the olive oil, add red onion and saute until a golden and translucent.



2. Add garlic and cook for barely a minute. Add dry couscous and stir to make sure it is well mixed with oil, onions and garlic.


3. Add broth and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and cover with lid for at least 5 minutes.  The couscous will continue to cook with the steam in the pot.  After 5 minutes, remove the lid, add tomatoes, lemon juice, zest, cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil.  Stir well to combine and cover again until ready for use.





EASY OVEN ROASTED BROCCOLI

Ingredients:

1 head broccoli, cut into florets
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients and make sure broccoli is well coated.
2. Bake at 375 for approx 15 minutes. Voila! Easy roasted broccoli. you can also add fresh shaved Parmesan on the top.
* This really works well for ANY vegetable.  You can also experiment by adding fresh chopped herbs such as thyme and rosemary for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment